Another tanning question!

This is the main forum! Post questions and topics of interest! But all topics must be related to survival and living off the land after SHTF!
Cavemum

Another tanning question!

Postby Cavemum » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:24 am

Am picking up a deer hide this afternoon.
Am not getting the brain with it, so what other natural things could be used instead? I don't want to use chemicals as we are trying to keep as authentic as possible.
I saw one guy online (YouTube I think) who used a mix of egg and mayonnaise. Do you think that would work?
First time doing a hide so sorry if a silly question!
Thanks x

omegaman66
Site Admin

Re: Another tanning question!

Postby omegaman66 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 am

There are other methods. I do think brain tanning is the best method. Iwill include other methods on this website eventually. Until then you can look up alternate methods such as using wood ash. I am not familiar with the method you mentioned.

Another method you can look into is to tan the hide using nothing more than salt and olive oil.

Cavemum

Postby Cavemum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 am

Should you wash the hide before doing anything to it?
I fleshed it then put in the freezer last night, then realised that maybe I should of washed it first!

copperhead

Postby copperhead » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes, it is a good idea to wash the fur side of the hide after skinning it out. Some people even use soap or shampoo! Not washing is not going to stop the tanning process but it will make the finished product feel and smell cleaner.

omegaman66
Site Admin

Postby omegaman66 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply copperhead. I am going to go update the tanning directions with this information.

copperhead

Postby copperhead » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 am

You are welcome

Return to “General Survival Topics!”